Today we have the first in our Unanswered Prayer series with Pete Greig of 24-7 prayer and presenter Gemma Hunt. Sorry, there is only an outline sermon in the Service Transcript this week, but do think through the Items for Reflection and Discussion.
As usual the Sunday Service will premiere at 10-30am and will be available on demand for about 28 days afterwards.
Unanswered Prayer is one of two courses produced by 24-7 Prayer to help us draw closer to God through prayer and you can find further details, as well as information about the main Prayer Course at https://prayercourse.org/
Pete also has a book called God on Mute from which most of the themes in Prayer Unanswered are drawn. There are paperback, Kindle and audiobook versions available on Amazon https://amzn.to/32lWXsw. The paperback version is also available from all good Christian bookshops.
For Reflection & Discussion
Read Luke 18:9-14, Matthew 5:3-5
1. Pete Greig said that we need to talk about unanswered prayer for three reasons: emotional, intellectual and cultural. Which feels most relevant to you at the present moment as you begin this series?
2. The words of Jesus in the book of Matthew teach us to expect blessing in the midst of challenges – how does this encourage (or discourage!) you in your faith?
3. Pete says that “there’s so much faking it” at church. If you could ask God one totally honest question about something you find difficult in your life, what would it be?
4. When have you experienced a ‘winter season’ in your relationship with God? How did it affect your faith?
5. What, practically, do you think is needed for persevering in faith and prayer through the ‘winter seasons’ of life?